2010 Delta Winds
A Magazine of Student Essays
A Publication of San Joaquin Delta College 2010
Table of Contents
- Letter from the Editors
- A Raisin in the Sun: A Trinity of Adaptations--Comparisons in Contrast
Jenny Taylor provides a comprehensive analysis of three screen productions of an American classic.
- Gifts to an Infant
Kaneez Sayeed reflects on the lasting significance of a traditional set of golden earrings.
- Lack of Failure?
Javier A. Villalobos tracks the psychological consequences of childhood failure in sports and academics.
- Online Classes: Promoting Critical Thinking and Cooperation between the Sexes
Deanna L. Tocco explores the potential for non-discriminatory education in an alternative learning environment.
- Running with the Team: An Examination of the Positive Effects of In-Group Conformity
Nisa Shinagawa applies concepts of conformity to her personal experiences with cross-country running.
- Working Mothers Are Benefiting the Family
Supreet Mann dissects common arguments against working mothers, believing they should be commended and not criticized.
- My Family's Black and I'm Proud: A story of how two small souls brought some color to our lives
Amanda Zimmerman discusses her family's experiences with racial integration.
- What Rock Music Means to Me
Charles F. Ogren shares his experiences as a student, lyricist, musician and performer of rock 'n' roll.
- When Thin Stops Defining Beauty
Alexandra Eriksen-Hisel views the inclusion of plus-sized models in popular media as a step in the right direction.
- The Decomposition of Education
An anonymous author blames teachers, parents, and students for the overwhelming number of students needing basic skills.
- Cutting Basic Skills Courses at Delta College
Cara Pellegri agrees with administrators' cuts to basic reading, writing, math, and ESL classes.
- Selective Education at Delta College
Gabriel Haro-Acosta argues cutting ESL classes jeopardizes the future lives of recent immigrants.