Placement Methodology

Math and English

Assessment exams for Math and English are no longer required for all students.

New Students will be placed into English and Math courses using one or more of the following:

  • High school coursework
  • High school grades
  • High school grade point average

This information will be pulled from you application for admission. There is no need to submit this information seperately.

Current/ Returning Students are also eligible for these new placement methods. If you are a current and/or returning student who started before Fall 2019, you can self-report your high school coursework, grades, and GPA. If you receive a higher placement using the new placement methods, you will be allowed to enroll in the higher level course. If you believe your placement will improve using your high school GPA and courses, complete the form below and return it to the Assessment Center. 

Report Your High School GPA/Courses

Title 5, §55522 is a law that requires California Community Colleges to maximize the probability that a student will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and Math within a one-year timeframe. 


ESL Students

If you are planning on taking classes as an ESL Student, you need to complete the ESL Self-Placement Exam.


POST Academy Students 

If you are planning on taking classes as a POST Academy student, you will need to take the PELLETb Exam.