Welcome to San Joaquin Delta College!

Our mission is the right for everyone to be able to pursue higher education without fear and to also acknowledge that the path for students and families who are undocumented to pursue higher education requires more determination, strength, and resilience than should be expected, or is fair. San Joaquin Delta College is committed to providing information, resources, a sense of community, and confidentially to all communities who are pursuing education.The Dreamers Success Center supports students who are Undocumented, of Immigrant Status, AB 540, and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) recipients by offering free legal and counseling services and other resources. 

Get Started at Delta 

Follow these steps to apply to Delta College as an undocumented student.

Apply to Delta

Information for Undocumented Students
Who are Undocumented Students

By definition, an undocumented student is a foreign national who:

  1. entered the United States without inspection or with fraudulent documents; or
  2. entered legally as a nonimmigrant but then violated the terms of his or her status and remained in the United States without authorization (as defined by the National Immigration Law Center).

In contrasts, a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) is defined as a person who was granted the right to live permanently in the United States. An LPR is a “green card” holder that is allowed to legally work and live in the United States.

What is AB540?

AB 540 exempts certain students from paying nonresident tuition (higher than resident tuition) and allows them to apply for different types of California Dream Act financial aid.

Students must have:

  1. Satisfaction of either of the following:
    1. High School attendance in California for three or more years.
    2. Attainment of credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school coursework and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of those schools.
  2. Graduated or will graduate from a California high school or obtained a Certificate or General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
  3. Will register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university.
  4. If applicable, complete(d) an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as you are eligible.
  5. Do not hold a valid non-immigrant visa ( F, J, H, L, A, B, C, D, E, etc. )**

If you meet the requirements above, you should complete the CA Dream Act Application for financial aid. ( A certified GPA is also necessary for Cal Grant consideration.) Your college is responsible for verifying your AB 540 eligibility. Check with your Admissions Office early in the summer before the Fall Term starts.

**If you have Temporary Protected Status or hold a U Visa you may be eligible for the California Dream Act. AB 1899 allows U and T visa holders to also apply for state financial aid. (T visa holders should file a FAFSA, U visa holders should file a CA Dream Act Application)

What Financial Aid Can A Dreamer Apply For?
  • Cal Grant, Chafee Grant, Middle-Class Scholarship
  • UC Grants, State University Grants
  • California College Promise Grant (Formerly BOG Fee Waiver)
  • EOP/EOPS - Some University scholarships
  • Some private scholarships administered by campuses

Application deadline for all Dreamer Cal Grants and most of the other aid listed above is March 2.

Dreamer Cal Grants include:

  • High School Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
  • CCC Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
  • Cal Grant C

Dreamers are not eligible to receive Competitive Cal Grants.

A Dreamer Cal Grant application

A Dreamer Cal Grant application = CA Dream Act Application + Non-SSN GPA

You can submit your GPA the following ways:

  • Non-SSN - - Best!
  • SSN (with your DACA) - but you MUST make sure you include your DACA SSN on Question #8 of your CA Dream Act Application (may slow down processing of your application)

You must meet the application deadline and all applicable eligibility requirements to qualify for any financial aid listed above.

For other financial aid and resources for Dreamers visit: e4fc.org, maldef.org.

What is DACA?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a federal process that defers removal action of an individual by USCIS for a specified number of years.

  • It is not the same as financial aid
  • It does not grant lawful immigration status
  • It does allow individuals to apply for an SSN and work authorization

CA Dreamers should still file a CA Dream Act Application instead of a FAFSA and submit a Non-SSN GPA. If you or your school submits your certified GPA using your DACA SSN, make sure you include that DACA SSN on question #8 of your CA Dream Act Application.

For more info about DACA visit: