STOCKTON -- The San Joaquin Delta Community College District is soliciting applications to serve as an appointed trustee for Area 2 of the Board of Trustees until the next regularly scheduled election for governing Board members, which is Nov. 5, 2024.
Area 2 includes the area of central Stockton.
The Board is seeking candidates who have the ability and time to fulfill the responsibilities of being a member of the Board, which includes:
- Participating fully in the work of the Board, which includes attending all Board meetings and key college events, studying and discussing policy issues, and participating in trustee education programs.
- Being knowledgeable about the communities served by the college and being willing to act on behalf and for the benefit of those communities.
- Being committed to community colleges and their missions; understanding educational, social, and economic policy issues.
- Engaging in balancing the needs of many diverse groups; being able to contribute to and build consensus.
- Contributing to effective Board functioning and supporting the authority of the Board as a whole. The Board of Trustees meets twice monthly on Tuesdays unless noted otherwise. Please see the College website for the current Board calendar.
Please contact the Office of the Superintendent/President to indicate an interest or suggest possible candidates for the position. Further information and application materials are available online or from:
San Joaquin Delta College
Office of the Superintendent/President
Horton Administration Bldg., Room 103
5151 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95207
Phone: (209) 954-5018
Applications are due no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024. The Board intends to interview candidates on Jan. 16, 2024 and could make a provisional appointment at that meeting.
Today's announcement comes after Trustee Elizabeth Blanchard, elected in 2020, stepped down from her Area 2 seat as of Dec. 1. Trustee Blanchard's departure came as she moved out of the area. A retired psychology professor, Dr. Blanchard has deep ties to Delta College. She is also past president of the California Teachers Association at Delta. Named Stocktonian of the Year in 2017, Trustee Blanchard has also served as a San Joaquin County planning commissioner, a city of Stockton planning commissioner for eight years, and a Port of Stockton commissioner. Her late husband, Joseph Blanchard, was superintendent/president of Delta College from 1954-1976. “We have wonderful programs here and I’m very proud of Delta College,” Dr. Blanchard said. “I want to congratulate all the faculty, staff, and administrators on their efforts and look forward to seeing what the College can accomplish in the future.”