Bias Incident Response Team
The purpose of the Delta College Bias Incident Response Team is to support and assist with a campus response to a bias incident or hate crime and to support the college’s commitment to providing a “hate free zone.” By constantly assessing the climate of the campus community and by recommending educational programs that create awareness and that combat intolerance, the Bias Incident Response Team acts to prevent bias incidents and hate crimes.
The Bias Incident Response Team is an independent group of campus community members who have received specialized training in the prevention of and response to bias incidents and hate crimes. This team is accountable to the college president and campus police chief.
The Bias Incident Response Team Is Responsible For:
- Continuously monitoring the campus climate related to bias incidents and hate crimes and reporting potential threats.
- Advocating for bias incident and hate crime prevention by assisting campus groups and committees with recommending educational programs related to current events in the world, regional community, and campus community.
- Educating the campus community on how to prevent bias incidents and hate crimes and on the procedures for reporting such incidents.
- Identifying and recommending partnerships with campus and regional community individuals, groups, and organizations involved in supporting victims and in preventing bias incidents and hate crimes.
- Developing and recommending response protocols for bias incidents and hate crimes that occur on campus.
- Advocating for victims of a bias incident and hate crimes by supporting individual victims, identity groups, and anyone on campus affected by a bias incident or hate crime.
- Advising the college president and campus police chief on appropriate and effective post-incident responses to bias incidents and hate crimes related to creating raising awareness, education, and outreach beyond the boundaries of the campus community.
- Assisting with the collection and timely distribution of information related to bias incidents and hate crimes that occur on campus.