Minimum Entrance Requirements
Peace officer positions are in great demand throughout the United States and especially in the State of California. The Public Safety Training Center wishes to make the training program available to all interested persons and maintain State and local mandated levels of performance. The following checklists will assist candidates to make their final decision to apply for enrollment in the POST Basic Academy program and to seek employment as a law enforcement professional.
- Be a high school graduate, pass the General Education Development Test (GED) indicating high school graduation level, pass the California High School Proficiency Examination, or have attained a two-year, four-year, or advanced degree from an accredited college or university. The high school shall be either a United States public school, an accredited United States Department of Defense high school, or an accredited or approved public or nonpublic high school. Any accreditation or approval required by this paragraph shall be from a state or local government educational agency using local or state government approved accreditation, licensing, registration, or other approval standards, a regional accrediting association, an accrediting association recognized by the Secretary of the United States Department of Education, an accrediting association holding full membership in the National Council for Private School Accreditation (NCPSA), an organization holding full membership in the Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA), an organization holding full membership in the Council for American Private Education (CAPE), or an accrediting association recognized by the National Federation of Nonpublic School State Accrediting Associations (NFNSSAA). (Government Code section 1031(e))
- Be at least 18 years of age. Minimum age of 18 years old for peace officer employment.
- No felony convictions or certain misdemeanor convictions that are disqualifying for employment as a peace officer [GC§1029; PC§12021(c); 18 USC 922(d)(9)] in the State of California. No restrictions for legal possession of firearms.
- Successfully pass the multiple choice POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery examination with a total T-Score of 42.0 or higher.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Successfully pass AJ 94 Peace Officer Academy Orientation course.
- Must obtain a medical release from a licensed medical doctor, upon acceptance to the program in order to participate in the rigorous training program.
- Must submit a Department of Justice Firearms clearance form and sign a felony Disclaimer upon acceptance to the program.
For additional information, please contact the
P.O.S.T. Academy Office
San Joaquin Delta College
5151 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, CA 95207