Common Questions

Questions and Answers for New ESL Students

If I decide to study ESL at Delta College, what is my first step?

First, you must complete the application for admissions. You can do so on the computer at home, in the E-Services Lab: DeRicco 149, or in the ESL Lab: Holt 201. After that, you need to take the ESL Assessment: DeRicco 110.

How much does the placement test cost?

All testing at Delta College is free.

Where do I go to take the test?

All placement tests are given in the Assessment Center located in DeRicco: 110.

When are the tests given?

The Assessment Center is open Monday -Thursday from 8:00am - 5:00pm, and Friday from 8:00am - 11:30am. Drop-in testing is available. To schedule an appointment, visit the Assessment Center website or call 209-954-5151 ext. 6120.

Do I need an appointment to take the ESL Placement Test?

You can make an appointment, but it is not required. Walk-ins are accepted.

What do I need to bring to the test?

You need a picture ID (passport, alien card, driver's license, etc.).

When and where do I get the placement results?

The placement results are usually available within 3 days. After taking the placement exam, you can get your results from the ESL Office: Holt 201.

Can I get the test results over the phone?

Yes. Please contact the ESL Office at 209-954-5352.

How do I enroll?

The enrollment process for the ESL program begins in Holt 201. The staff in the office will help you with your ESL program schedule and assist you with the necessary paper work for registration.

Do I have to take all of the classes listed for my level?

YES, unless you have passed the class in a previous semester.

When do I have to pay for my classes?

Payment must be paid before the onset of classes. International and non-resident students can make arrangements for payments with the Registration Office in the lobby of DeRicco Student Services Building.

How can I pay for my classes?

You can pay for your classes with a credit card (VISA or Mastercard), cash, check, or money order.

If the classes are too easy for me, what can I do?

During the first week of school, many instructors administer review tests. If you feel the class is too easy, you need to speak to your instructor, or you may challenge your level by taking the ESL Retake Assessment.

What is the ESL Retake Assessment?

The ESL Retake Assessment is used to place you at a higher level within the ESL Program.

What do I do if I have an emergency and have to leave school for a week?

You must notify your instructor immediately.

What do I do if I cannot finish my class? Do I still have to pay?

If you have to drop from the program, you must inform the ESL office, and the staff will help you with the required paperwork. If you drop the classes before the specific refund date, you are eligible for a refund. (This date is different each semester.)

Does Delta College provide child care?

Delta College offers child care programs on campus.

Can I take classes outside of the ESL program?

Yes, as long as they do not conflict with your ESL program and you meet the prerequisites for the class. The first three levels of the ESL program are 11 units. To reach full-time status, students can enroll in a P.E. course for an additional unit. Courses in other disciplines are also available.

How much does it cost to enroll in the ESL program?

Residents pay $46.00 per unit.
Non-residents pay $278.00 per unit.

What is a unit?

A unit is a measure of college credit based on one unit for each lecture hour per week or for every two to three laboratory hours per week.

How many units are in the ESL program?

The ESL programs are 11 units at the first three levels.

What is meant by "residence"?

Residence is that location with which a person is considered to have the most settled and permanent connection; it is also that place where that person intends to remain and, during absences, intends to return. Residence results from the union of physical presence with the intent to remain at that place for an indefinite period of time. To qualify as a resident of California, the student must show proof of residency for one year.

What is meant by physical presence?

  1. People capable of establishing residence in California must be physically present in California for two years or one year if they have supporting evidence of a declaration of intent that is dated one year prior to the residence determination date to be classified as a resident student (see Intent and Residence Determination Date below).
  2. Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes does not constitute establishing California residence regardless of the length of that presence.

What is intent?

Intent to establish California residence may be manifested in many ways, including but not constitute establishing California residence regardless of the length of that presence.

  1. Having active membership in service or social club.
  2. Being the petitioner for a divorce in California.
  3. Establishing and maintaining active California bank accounts.
  4. Licensing from California for professional practice.
  5. Maintaining permanent military address or home record in California while in the armed forces.
  6. Owning of residential property or continuous occupancy of rented or leased property in California.
  7. Paying of California state income tax as a resident.
  8. Possessing a California driver's license.
  9. Possessing a California motor vehicle license plate.
  10. Registering to vote and voting in California.
  11. Showing California as home address on federal income tax form.

How long is the waiting period?

The residence period which a student must meet to be classified as a resident does not begin until the student is present in California and has manifested clear intent to become a California resident.

When is the residence determination date?

As set by the district governing board, the residence determination date is that day immediately preceding the opening day of instruction of the semester or summer intersession, during which the student proposes to attend college.

Who has the responsibility to show proof?

It is the student's responsibility to demonstrate clearly both physical presence in California and the intent to establish California residence.

Who are non-residents?

American citizens or permanent residents of the USA who have not resided in California for more that the required period immediately preceding the residence determination date will be subject to the non-resident tuition fee as set forth by the college prior to the start of each academic year.

Who are non-immigrants?

An alien who is in the USA under a non-immigrant classification such as B, C, D, F, G, H, J, or M cannot gain a resident status since the law relating to him/her provides that he/she is required to maintain a residence in another country and is only allowed to remain in the USA temporarily. Aliens with F, G, and M status may be admitted to the college as full-time students subject to admission to the college's International Student Program. Aliens whose non-immigrant status are other than F, J, and M should obtain assistance from the Admissions Office. A change in non-immigrant status is the responsibility of the student.

We go to great lengths to communicate with non-English speakers.