Students authorized by a DSPS counselor to receive note-taking services for the current semester may work with a student who is registered in the same class (at the same time) to take notes.
Purpose: To ensure equal access to in-class information for qualified Disability Support Programs & Services (DSPS) students. Note taking services are provided as a reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended; and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. Eligibility for note taking services is based upon the student’s documented functional limitations as determined by a DSPS counselor during the initial intake appointment. Note taking services will commence upon the approved date of services.
To be contracted as a note taker, please read and adhere to the responsibilities and procedures below:
- Maintain confidentiality of all information related to the DSPS student. Note: DSPS students approved to receive note taking services, may not take notes for others.
- Note taker must have a minimum 2.5GPA, have completed at least one semester in a College setting, and be enrolled in the same class as current DSPS student from the first day of class through the last class of the semester.
- Notes must be clearly labeled with note taker’s name, instructor and class name, class day/time, title of lecture and/or chapter number, and page number. For consecutive pages of notes, place number of each page at the top.
- Notes must be legible, thorough, and written in ink on the top page of the carbon copy paper.
- It is the responsibility of the note taker to pick up carbon copy paper each week for notes. DSPS will provided carbon copy paper in reasonable amounts to each note taker. This paper is not intended for personal use.
- Note taker MUST bring his/her notes to the DSPS office (DeRicco 234) to be scanned at the end of each week. Failure to so will result in breach of contract and non-payment of stipend.
- If you or the DSPS student which you are providing notes for drops out of the class(es) at any time during the semester, you must notify DSPS office at (209) 954-5151 ext. 6272 and provide the following information: note taker name, Delta ID and phone number, DSPS student name and drop date (if possible).
- Note takers providing notes to more than one DSPS student in the same class receive only one stipend.
- Stipends will be paid in full IF services were provided for the entire semester. A pro-rated amount of $5.00 per week will be calculated for notes rendered less than 11 weeks.
- Classes with units of 0.5-2.5 will earn a $50 stipend, and classes with 3.0-5.0 units will earn a $100 stipend.
Note taking agreements must be signed by both the note taker and DSPS student. Agreements must be submitted to the DSPS Office during finals week each semester. Please allow 6 weeks for processing of stipends by SJDC Business Office. Checks will be forwarded to the note taker’s address on the original contract.