Students, who intend to complete the Associate of Science Degree for a Speech Language Pathology Assistant, must complete the supplemental application to the SLPA Program prior to registering in COMM DIS 003, Communication Disorders: Therapy Analysis and Fieldwork. Students must be accepted into the SLPA Program in order to register for COMM DIS 003.
SLPA AS Degree program prerequisites must be completed or may be in progress at the time of application. Grade C or higher is accepted:
- COMM DIS 001A - Introduction to Communication Disorders
- English 1A – Reading and Composition
- HS 019 – Human Development
SLPA AS degree program corequisite may be completed concurrently with COMM DIS 003 or prior with a grade of C or better:
- COMM DIS 001B - Speech, Language and Hearing Development
In addition to the prerequisite coursework in order to be eligible for admission to the SLPA program to pursue the SLPA Associate Degree the student must:
- Be admitted to San Joaquin Delta College in good standing with no holds on college records. If not currently a Delta College student, please be sure to apply to the College several weeks prior to the SLPA program application as you must have Delta College student ID # and email address to complete the SLPA program application. It takes a few days for the system to update itself and recognize new students.
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Satisfy the Delta College assessment placement test requirements.
How to Apply
Submit the following required documentation to the Health Science Division Office by the stated due date.
- Unofficial transcripts from a regionally accredited institution demonstrating completion or current enrollment in prerequisite course work required for program admission. Highlight the prerequisites and corequisite courses on your transcript.
- For coursework completed at Delta College, nothing further is required regarding transcripts.
- For coursework completed at other colleges, you must include a catalog description of the prerequisite classes from the institution where completed for the purpose of determining equivalency. Descriptions must come from the specific catalog for the year the course was completed.
- Provide a copy of your DMV issued driver’s license or DMV ID card or other US government issued ID card.
- Place all documents in a 9 x 12 envelope and MAIL to:
Health Science Division Office
SLPA Program ATTN: Susan Kidwell
5151 Pacific Ave Stockton, CA
- Mailed documents must be postmarked by 3 days prior to the posted deadline. We strongly suggest you mail through a service that will provide delivery confirmation.
- OR, you can hand deliver documented the by posted deadline to Locke 203
Failure to submit required documentation by the stated due date in one envelope will result in student disqualification for the current application period.
After You're Accepted
After you are accepted you will be required to complete all health and safety requirements necessary for admission to clinical practice sites. Ddetailed instructions will be provided in the SLPA Information Packet for those who are accepted. Requirements include:
- Background Clearance for criminal history.
- Physical Exam.
- Immunizations, TB, and Hepatitis and other disease screening
- Drug Screen
- Professional Liability Insurance
- HIPPA Training